If you are in the process of sending out year end appeals for people to donate please remember the following:
1. You're not the only one doing so, expect that your target audience has received at least 5 other appeals from different groups.
2. People know the economy sucks, but that isn't a reason to give to you.
3. That fact you may have to close your doors, or not do your next scheduled event, isn't a reason to give to you.
4. Actually, I would avoid saying point 3 entirely, even if it was true, people don't like desperate appeals.
5. What is a reason to give is the impact your art is having on the community you serve. Any impact you can actually measure is best, but even if you can't . . . that impact is what your year end fundraising appeal should cover.
6. If you haven't done of these yet, it isn't too late. A lot of people decide to give the last week of the year, so you still have an opportunity to at least make a request via email.